Maxwell J. Goss
Max helps businesses and individuals resolve their disputes. He relishes a good fight, but also knows when persuasion and cooperation are the best tools to achieve a client’s objectives.
Max provides representation in all stages of state and federal litigation, both locally and nationwide. He focuses his litigation practice on:
- Non-compete, trade secret, and unfair competition
- Trademark, patent, and copyright
- Shareholder oppression and breach of fiduciary duty
Max's experience also includes contract, fraud, defamation, employment, real estate, construction, and antitrust litigation and disputes, among other areas.
In addition to litigation, Max advises on business law and intellectual property matters. For example, Max has drafted restrictive covenant agreements, counseled employers and employees regarding non-compete enforcement, negotiated patent licenses, and provided guidance on trademark strategy.
Max formerly practiced with the international law firm Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, LLP in Texas, and with the Detroit office of a large law firm with offices in several major markets.
To learn more about Max and his practice, visit his website.
Max earned his J.D., cum laude, from Notre Dame Law School. During law school, Max served as the Executive Articles Editor of The Notre Dame Law Review and interned for the Honorable Xavier Rodriguez of the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas.
Prior to law school, Max received a Ph.D. in philosophy from the University of Texas and taught logic and ethics at several universities.
Max earned his B.A. from Western Michigan University, where he was a presidential scholar.
Max is licensed to practice law in the following states:
Max is admitted to practice in the following federal courts:
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Max stays active in the community and the legal profession. Max founded the Society for Law and Culture, an organization that aims to strengthen the ties between law and culture and promote a renewed understanding of the law as a vocation. His involvement also includes:
- Texas Exes - Michigan Chapter (President)
- Notre Dame Club of Detroit (Lawyers Alumni Committee)
- American Inns of Court (Barrister)
Max enjoys spending time with his wife and children. A constant learner, Max recently learned to sail.